Engine production started in 1948 in Gmünd/Corinthian with a four-cylinder Boxer engine for the Porsche 356, a VW engine that had undergone further development. Only shortly after the return of Porsche to Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen in 1950, engine production moved in 1953 into its own purpose-built building, Werk II.
In 1963, with the launch of the Porsche 911, production of the first version of the new six-cylinder Boxer carburetor engine began on an assembly line for the first time. With the expansion of the product range (1974: Porsche Turbo, 1977: Porsche 928, 1978: Porsche 924 Turbo etc.) a parallel assembly line was needed. Technical innovations, such as pneumatic and electric bolting systems, gradually contributed to the improvement of the production processes.
1985 saw an increase in production quantities triggered by a higher demand for the models Porsche 924 S/944. Since this time engine assembly has operated two shifts, apart from brief interruptions.
1993 marked another milestone. With the start of production of the fundamentally reworked 911 (development number 993), engine production was transferred to a continuously moving assembly line.
The test run on the engine test rig (hot test) remained an unchanged feature of engine production over the years. Every Porsche engine built to date has passed through this reliable procedure.